Bill Gates famously said: “If your business is not on the Internet, then your business will be out of business.”
In these few words, the Founder of Microsoft highlights the importance of digital marketing.
Companies including Apple, Amazon, Airbnb and Samsung, among others, owe their success to digital marketing.
Few would have known about amazing products and services of these companies, were it not for digital marketing.
Therefore, let us understand what Digital Marketing actually means.
Understanding Digital Marketing
First, let us understand marketing- an essential activity of every business. Companies identify the needs of people and create a product or service that meets their requirement.
They find opportunities to generate demand for these products or services and communicate about their offerings to the public using various channels.
These channels include advertising or write-ups in newspapers, magazines, roadside billboards, flyers, banners and retailers, to name a few.
Digital Marketing works on the same principle. However, it differs in one major aspect of performing all the above activities online, exclusively through the Internet.
When an organization does Digital Marketing, it is identifying demand for a product or service, creating the stuff and communicating with masses through own or other websites, social media platforms, mobile apps and online videos, Internet-based banners, flyers and advertisements.
In brief, Digital Marketing is two-way communication between an organization and target audience by various platforms available on the Internet.
Conventional Marketing v/s Digital Marketing
Nowadays, Digital Marketing industry is witnessing a boom. There are very strong reasons for the growth of Digital Marketing.
It offers several distinct advantages over conventional marketing.
We have listed down 6 major advantages of Digital Marketing.
- It costs much lesser.
- Digital Marketing allows companies to reach audiences worldwide.
- It is very easy to turnaround a Digital Marketing strategy within a few hours if something goes wrong.
- It offers more platforms to connect clients and companies. Social media, instant messaging, blogging, online advertisements, mobile apps and online stores are just a few examples.
- Digital Marketing eliminates limitations of time placed by conventional marketing. For example, a newspaper ad will have to be placed daily. With Digital Marketing, only one ad will be sufficient to reach masses.
- It allows results to be measured through data analysis. With conventional marketing, measuring impact is almost impossible.
Due to these reasons Digital Marketing is witnessing a boom and generating many job opportunities.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is a process of Marketing of any goods or services via Digital Channel (which Includes both Online and Offline Medium).
Digital Marketing Processes
Digital Marketing can be done by a single, qualified and experienced person, unlike conventional marketing that needs a team. Only a good computer with a reliable Internet connection is sufficient for anyone to embark on Digital Marketing.
There are various processes in Digital Marketing, all of which are done online, without toiling outdoors.
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media Marketing
- Pay-Per-Click Advertising
- Paid Search Advertising
- Paid Social Media Advertising
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Email Marketing
It is worth noting, most businesses nowadays are moving away from conventional marketing while investing in Digital Marketing.
As Internet usage spreads rapidly worldwide, almost every business will have to mark some level of an online presence. Unless they do so, the business can go extinct. Widespread use of smartphones and apps is a major driver of Digital Marketing.
Digital Marketing is here to stay. And stay for the long run.